Monday, March 15, 2010

Disadvantage & Advantage of Web 2.0

Personally I don't like working with computer. There is no special reason. I think I am one of the digital immigrants. Maybe I could be someone who is just trying to immigrate to the digital world. But I can understand the powerful effects and fascination of web 2.0. My works on the web can be published to the world with the help of existing software. That makes me feel like I did something and became someone. But still I have to depend on the software to make blogs unless I'm the best computer programmer. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I do not like working with computers. Besides, I have to update often. Otherwise it will be left behind and look like just garage with out of fashion stuffs.

But the power of blog is amazing. In Korea, there are some people called 'power blogger'. They can make big money from posting advertisements because these blogs are very popular. People go to the blogs to find and share information. Likewise blog can be a very good virtual place to communicate regardless of location, age, and time. So it might be helpful to reduce prejudice that can occur in person-to-person situation.

5 comments:

  1. It's true that unless you have some knowledge of programming, you need to rely on services created by others - but there are so many web 2.0 services, from blogs and wikis to RSS and folksonomies, that there's actually no need to be able to create such services yourself. They're easy to use once you get started and, best of all, they're usually free! In fact, it's the wide availability of such services that has led to the web 2.0 explosion. Unlike in web 1.0 days, you don't have to be a computing expert to become an author and contributor to the world wide web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo, you make an excellent point regarding updating often. I think this is the area that puts me off most as information and sites can date so quickly. That said, a little effort has big rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to use some of my technology knowledge to post on your wall. So many sign ins!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like garages with out of fashion stuff! Will you sell your blog to me for 50c?
    You mentioned that we rely on other people's designs/software to write on our blog. So for me, using a computer & typing up my thoughts is less enjoyable than sitting down and drawing/writing in my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The point about reducing prejudice is a good one. Not just racial: many people still assume that physical disability or speech disorder = stupidiy, or are too hurried to wait for slow thinking speakers and assume silence = no contibution worth making. A liberation worth dependence on "black box" technology from technomages, I think.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete